According to Facebook, a very trusty source indeed, Michigan has been getting hit pretty hard with storms and even a tornado! Of course as soon as I leave that happens. Geez.
If you don’t know, I love storms. Thunderstorms to be exact. I love being nestled in bed hearing the rain lightly falling on the ceiling, seeing the lightning suddenly flash across the sky, and hearing the thunder reign down upon the earth. Pretty cool stuff.
In Florida, our thunderstorms are different from back home. Not to state the obvious, but in Michigan, when it rains and thunders, it is dark outside. Right? Duh. And it’s usually dreary and leaves you slightly chilled just by looking outside.
That’s not always the case in Jacksonville.
Sometimes it’ll storm during the day but the sky will stay perfectly blue. I’ll hear a loud *clap* and look out my window and see a light blue sky with fluffy cumulus clouds. Then the lightning. But no sign of rain. It still makes me take a double-take. I’m talking about a STORM in PERFECT weather. (One could say The Perfect Storm eh? eh?)
Other times, it seems like Mother Nature is PMSing and our condo community is the one who forgot to buy her some Milk Duds. I’m talking CRAZY thunder and lighting. Rain pouring down like you have never seen. Lightning that illuminates the entire sky when it should be pitch black. If Keegan and I had pets or children, they’d surely be in bed with us crying their little eyes out. Poor future babies.
Though I’m jealous of your tornado weather, I am really enjoying the Jacksonville storm scene. All the fun of a storm but you know it’ll be sunny once you wake up.
Here are some pictures of a sweet thunderstorm we had on Monday.
Right before the lightning struck
Stay dry, Michigan!
Well hello! I didn’t see you there. You must have just stumbled across my new blog: MI Jacksonville Life.
Last week, Keegan and I officially made the 1,139 mile from Grand Rapids, Michigan, to Jacksonville, Florida. I thought I’d use this blog as a way to document this entirely new adventure outside of our “normal” and to keep in touch with family and friends back home so you can see our new normal.
Here’s a recap of why we made the move:
- August 12, 1987: Sweet little Keegan Welsh was born in Cadillac, Michigan, where it snows 9 months out of the year. He quickly learns he is not a fan.
- June 5, 2010: That sweet little Keegan grew into an extremely handsome man, met this silly girl named Brianna, asked me if I wanted to come over and watch the Tigers (duh), and we got married 4 years later.
- 2011-2015: Keegan does insanely well at his role at W. W. Grainger and gets promoted a million times. He starts expanding his professional network throughout the US
- Early February 2015: Keegan and I take literally 4 vacations in 2 weeks because we hate the lake effect snow for months on end, literally colder here than in Antarctica, white out driving and I’m probably going to run over that idiot driver going 3 mph on the highway kind of weather.
- Early March 2015: Keegan interviews for a Manager of Territory Sales role in Jacksonville on Wednesday. Gets the offer on Thursday. We’re down in Jax next Friday to look at condos.
- April 2015: We both make the drive from GR to Jax to begin our new life in Florida.
And that leads me to where I am now. Just a small town girl, living in a loooooo—oops. Sorry. That’s the local brew taking over. Two newlyweds starting a new, exciting chapter in our lives that I know will be filled with many fun adventures.
I’ll have more crazy stories about how we managed to make that move with less than 4 weeks in my next post.
xox mi love from jax